By Samuel Ouma|@journalist_27
The Anti-Terror Police on Saturday, January 19, apprehended four more suspects in connection with the January 15, terror attack in dusitD2 in Riverside Drive, Nairobi.
Police reports divulged that three of them were of Somali origin and one among them had a British passport. They were arrested at a hotel located in Kitui County, Eastern part of the country. They were identified as Musa Abdulkadir Ahmed, 25, Ahmed Aris Mohamed, 24, Mohamed Abdi Ali, 25 and Muhudin Hassan, 47, who is alleged to be in possession of a forged British passport.
According to Kitui County Police Commander Antony Kamitu, the four suspects could not give a proper account of themselves.
“They have told us they are businessmen dealing with sale and distribution of petroleum products. This is yet to be established as on Musa Abdulkadir has Kenyan identity card,” he said.
On Wednesday, January 16, the police had arrested 7 other people including a woman believed to have aided the attackers in planning and executing the terror attack. Directorate of Criminal Investigation boss George Kinoti established that some suspects were in constant communication with the attackers.
“The two are providing us with important information behind the attack. They were in close contact with the killed attackers. We are pursuing more suspects who we believe played a role in the incident,” reiterated Kinoti.
21 lives were lost and scores injured in the horrific attack by Somali militants, Alshaabab. The 4 attackers forced their way into 14 Riverside Drive at 2:30pm (Kenyan time) by shooting at guards. They also hurled explosives into vehicles in the parking area.
The security cameras captured the terrorists trying to gain entry into the offices but were frustrated by the locked steel doors. They then headed to the restaurant where one blows himself up killing many people. The scene was then flooded with security officers who evacuated those who were trapped in the buildings, engaged the terrorists and gunned them down after 20 hours.
One of the survivors, waiter at Dusit D2 hotel, revealed that the attackers had visited the hotel before. According to him, they had been to the hotel and he had served them coffee.
“I knew one of them because he had a big scar on one of his hands,” he said.
He said the attackers spared him and shot six of his colleagues. Four were injured while two died. He added that they asked him why Kenyans forces were killing their brothers in Somalia.
“Why are you killing our brothers and sisters in Somalia? They no longer attend Madrassa,” one of the attackers reportedly asked.
Leaders, international community, organisations and diplomatic missions condemned the attack maintaining they will not be cowered from fighting terrorism.
President Uhuru Kenyatta vowed that Kenya will tirelessly pursue those involved in the attack.
“We will seek out every person involved in the funding, planning and execution of this heinous act. We will pursue them wherever they will be, until they are held to account,” the Head of State said.
The opposition leader Raila Odinga also took a swipe at the attack calling Kenyans to unite in order to win war against terrorism.
“Those involved in planning of the terror attack should be followed up by our security agents and punished,” said the former Prime Minister.
African Union Chairmen Moussa Faki said, “In the strongest possible terms the terrorist attack that took place today against innocent civilians in Nairobi, Kenya.
IGAD Executive Secretary Ambassador Mahboub Maalim noted, “I strongly condemn the cowardly and reprehensible attack on Dusit complex”.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said, “Allow me to first of all to join my voice to the expression of total solidarity with the people, the Government and the President of Kenya in total condemnation of the horrible terrorist attack act we have just heard”.
Kenyan security forces and emergency services got commendation for their swift response to the attack.
“Multiple security efforts are underway to disrupt and defeat any terrorist attack. We are on high alert and shall remain so,” said President Kenyatta.