By Samuel Ouma |@journalist_27
Public agencies that will have not published tender information on their websites in the next 30 days will be sanctioned, said the deputy president William Ruto.
Speaking during the open Governance Partnership forum in Nairobi on Monday, Ruto directed all directors of all firms doing business with the government to make the information about tenders public. He also appealed to the Treasury to compile a list of all public bodies that have defied the President’s order for full disclosure of orders.
“I want to ask the Treasury to forward the list of the parastatals and government departments that have failed to comply with the directive so that we can take on the boards and CEOs. It is not a request the president was making. It is an order to be implemented,” said Ruto.
According to Ruto, the budgets of corporations will either be frozen or scaled down in case they completely failed to comply with the order in next month.
The Deputy President said the tender information will enable media, civil society groups and ordinary citizens to track and monitor government by analyzing the data given. He further added that such information will help the public to identify loopholes for corruption and expose them.
“If we can proactively spot and disclose the patterns of fraud, wastage and abuse, there is a potentially enormous developmental impact to be realized from cost savings by government,” he reiterated.
He noted that the information should be provided in machine-readable formats which are accessible to all Kenyans.
“All governments departments and agencies should regularly avail information to citizens on their policies and programmes in machines-readable formats; in open access portals especially through the Kenya Open Data Portal,” Ruto said.
Ruto further called to an end the tendencies of the government officers of denying the public information on their activities.
In July last year, President Uhuru Kenyatta directed all government entities and state agencies to provide full details of tenders including costs and details of suppliers, in an Executive Order on Procurement of Public Goods, Works and Services by Public Entities.
The President said disclosure of tender details will avail opportunity for public scrutiny and prevent collusion between government and unqualified individuals or companies looking for tenders.
The move aimed at fighting corruption in the awarding of tenders which had been turned into cash exchange between senior government officials and unscrupulous individuals after mega tenders.
Numerous government officials among them former cabinet secretaries, principal secretaries and parastatals head have been charged in court over irregular awarding of tenders.