File picture.UN Police conducts search operation in Juba Protection of Civilians site, South Sudan. Photo: UNMISS

UN Mission in South Sudan petitioned over killings

By Deng Machol

File picture.UN Police conducts search operation in Juba Protection of Civilians site, South Sudan. Photo: UNMISS
File picture.UN Police conducts search operation in Juba Protection of Civilians site, South Sudan. Photo: UNMISS

Juba – South Sudan’s community has staged a peaceful procession calling for justice, accountability and compensation on their slain son, who were killed by the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), Rwandan contingent last week.

This comes after the UN mission in South Sudan released a statement, saying that its peacekeepers shot dead two civilians at its base along Juba-Yei road.

Legge Moses and Kenyi Morris, UNMISS civilian contractors, were shot by a peacekeeper at its Juba base more than a week ago. They were 26 and 28 years old, respectively. It is not clear what prompted the unnamed peacekeeper to open fire on them.

But earlier, the UN mission said it was working to establish circumstances under which the two civilian contractors died after they were shot by a peacekeeper.

On Monday, members of the Kuku’s community in Juba staged a peaceful protests’ against the incident, petitioned the UN Mission in South Sudan over killings.

The community said it was demanding for justice, accountability and compensation of their slain young men.

“First of all, the community wants the UN to feel their senses of pain and anger, two; they want to know why,” Aggrey Tisa Sabuni, the community chairperson read a statement at the UNMISS – base Thongpiny in Juba.

They also called on the government and UNMISS to expedite a legal process over the matter to ensure justice prevails.

“They want justice, they want due process of the law to take place… here in Juba, South Sudan,” Tisa said.

Its members also demanded for a decent burial of the victims in their home area, including services for the funeral.

“Regardless of the outcome of the court case, they are demanding for compensation for the life of the youths they have lost,” they added.

On behalf of the United Mission in South Sudan, Paul Yeagun Shalla, the mission’s chief of Staff – says they are investigating the matter.

 “We are not to judge anything even though we got an account of what happened from our soldier, but we are trying to get to the bottom of the matter as fast as we can,” Yeagun told the anger-protesters.

The UNMISS chief of staff further said that the Mission has accepted to fulfil the demands of Kajo-keji community to transport bodies of the slain young men to their home area for burial and cater for the funeral services. The Mission is not yet disclosed when they will transport a bodies of the slain civilian contractors.

Share

Comments

comments

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*